From:
Tim Hendrix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 19:35:31 -0400
Wasn't there an article in a Pediatric Neurology magazine a few years
ago about sucking reflexes and epidurals?  Am I recalling this right?
It seems the article stated some babies have had difficulties for weeks.
Was fentynal (SP?) the suspect? I believe the article spoke about other
behaviors also besides just the suck.  At our hospital nubain IV is the
biggest (mixed with phenergan) drug used.  But epidurals are probably
90%!  5% might be planned natural labors and 5% accidental natural
labors!  (These are just guesses, mind you, but I'm probably not far
off!)  In our childbirth classes we are trying to empower women with
knowledge and freedom of choice (barring any emergencies) but they do
not seem all that interested.  They feel comfortable with the Drs.
suggestions at inductions, pitocin (used like water down here), etc.  Of
course the family, friends, mailman, nail lady, etc. play a part in all
of this since they will tell moms how wonderful epidurals are.  Many
times the Drs. come back and want to know who on earth taught their
classes.  It is so disheartening.  I have had Drs. in my classes and
most used the epidural but felt the classes were great and helpful. They
still recommend their patients get epidurals.

As an observation, I would say the longer the epidural, the more sucking
problems seen.  Yes, many of our babies get suctioned after delivery so
they probably have sore throats.  But these babies usually do better by
the next day.

Was there ever a study done that said the drugs used for epidurals were
found in the babies system?  I thought there was, maybe I am just
imagining things!

Any other comments?  Lots of babies not sucking properly today and every
one was born to a mom with an epidural.  Just a coincidence?  By the way
I  really don't see it in our C-Section babies so much, just lots of
probable sore throats from all of that suctioning.

Pam (Pam Hendrix, RN, IBCLC, ICCE) in hot S. Florida