From:
Jessica Stromberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:06:23 -0500
Hi Everyone, Looking for your knowledge. I have a mom ont he board I host
whom has a extreme case of mastitis. I have received her permission to post
over here and if anyone can offer wisdom to help her or need questions
asked. Please let me know. She seems to be at the end here, but wants to
continue breastfeeding.

"I've had SEVERE mastitis for the past three weeks. I was treated with two
different oral antibiotics, and it got worse. Then had three days of
antibiotic injections, then was hospitalized for over a week. I was on IV
naphcilin and then IV vancomycin. I am currently home on IV vancomycin
(have a central line). I have been on the vanc for two weeks.... My breast
used to be swollen about two or three times the normal size and swelling
has gone down.. but i am still in tons of pain, and am pumping out blood
and/or yellow/green stuff. Milk production in that breast is about nil. I
also have a yeast infection and am on 200 mg Diflucan/day and my baby is on
nystatin.

Just wondering if anyone has ever had a case this bad... what they did
about it.. how long it took to heal.. if they ever got milk production back
in that breast.

Seems quite odd to me that i have been on IV's for almost three weeks and
am still not completely better - as well as taking oral meds.

Thanks for listening,
Kari"

I was going to suggest culturing to see if it is a staph infection, but
feel that the antibiotic should be taking care of this. Please note any
suggestions may be posted on the board, but I will email her privately if
so requested.

Thanks
Jessica -- Trying to help out one breastfeeding mom at a time.