Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 12:22:51 -0800
Hi

I am doing an article on surgery and children, and my 7 year old has to
have her fifth surgery at the end of this month, so if you'd like, have
the mom contact me directly.  [log in to unmask]

the old  recomendations by the ASA can be found here...

http://anesthesia.stanford.edu/kentgarman/clinical/NPO.htm

this was from 1999, which was 4 hours for NPO for breastmilk.  however,
in Sept 2002, they changed that to 2 hours for breastmilk and clear
liquids and 4 hours for everything else.  here is the link...

http://www.asahq.org/clinical/toolkit/sedmodelfinal.htm

here is the paragraph

4. NPO GUIDELINES:

    A. Verification of NPO status in adult patients shall occur before
    the start of sedation and analgesia and the patient shall be NPO for
    at least 4 hours prior to the procedure unless the physician has
    weighed the benefits for a shorter NPO period and it is documented
    in the medical record.

    B. Verification of NPO status in pediatric patients shall occur
    before the start of sedation and analgesia. For elective procedures,
    the child shall receive no solids or non-human milk for 4 hours
    before sedation unless the risk of nutritional deprivation outweighs
    the benefit of NPO in the estimation of the physician.

    Small amounts of clear liquids or human milk are acceptable up to 2
    hours before sedation and analgesia. Children at risk for
    regurgitation or aspiration (e.g., known gastro-esophageal reflux,
    extreme obesity) may benefit from pharmacologic therapy to reduce
    gastric volume and increase gastric pH before sedation or from a
    longer NPO period of time prior to the procedure. If delayed gastric
    emptying is present, an Anesthesiology or GI consult should be
    considered before sedation and analgesia.

    C. Certain radiologic procedures require the administration of oral
    fluids in conjunction with sedation and analgesia. Risk of
    aspiration during these procedures must be weighed against the
    benefits of sedation and analgesia.

So, an 8 hour NPO is way too long.  What I would suggest for the mom to
do is to start this discussion with the hospital now, not the day before
surgery.  Take in the sept newsletter, and other research that says a
shorter NPO time is acceptable.  She might need to negotiate and many
hospitals are not accepting this 2 hour NPO but would accept 3 hours for
breastmilk and no other food for 8 hours or something similar (that is
what they finall agreed to 5 years ago for Lexie,on her 2nd surgery.
 With my first, we negotiated it to 4 hours.  With her third, I got a
two hour agreement, but that was a lot of hard work on my part.

There are also other considerations.  Many post op wards want the kids
to drink juice (we were offered OJ--give me a break) or formula before
breastfeeding.  Also there are two levels of postop, and parents are
usually not permitted at the first one, which is where, in my opinion,
the child needs them the most.  With Lexie's 2nd surgery she was about
18 months old.  We had a NPO of 3 hours, I was there when she was
anesthesized, I was there in the 1st post op room, and she immediately
climbed in the nursing position.  When it was time to go to the 2nd post
op room, they were going to make me put her in the rolling crib to move
her to the post op room but I insisted they leave her in my arms and so
they put me in a wheel chair and we went that way.  She recovered very
easily, I laughed at the idea OJ or formula would be easier on her post
op tummy and smiled at the water suggestion and just nursed her when she
indicated she needed to nurse.  There were babies who had surgery before
her who were still "recovering", many without parents in the room, when
we left.  Amazing how holding your baby and human milk can help a child
recover quickly.  Anyway... if the mom wants to discuss this with me
directly, just have her email me or email me p rivately and I"ll give
you my telephone number.

It's kinda funny, Lexie's last surgery was almost two years ago, whens
he was five.  She was still nursing, and we followed the 3 hour NPO for
breastmilk.  She also nursed in recovery and was very vocal about how
that settled her tummy and made her feel good.  Now for the first time
she is not breastfeeding while she has a surgery (and my 4 year old is
weaned too. :-( )  It'll be an interesting experience, for me.

Joylyn