From:
Lyla Wolfenstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 11:39:00 -0700

carol said:

>My twist on this subject is relevant to postpartum
>depression/mood disorders.  There are different theories regarding the
>physiology and hormonal influence on the occurance of PPD.  These findings
>parallel everything that's being stated regarding the breast function in
>lactation.  One finding is that the neurotransmitters of the brain are not
>receiving adequate amounts of oxytocin.

ok, point well take  - i have to learn more about the chemistry of brain
disorders!  the above statement brings up another question re: the mom i
posted about earlier with low supply and a 1 week old second baby (low
supply with a first too).  she has a history of depression and post partum
depression, and has been on an SSRI since before her first baby was
born.  could this theory of inadequate oxytocin be interpreted to mean that
moms with depression may have inhibited MER because of insufficient
ocytocin?  Do SSRIs normalize oxytocin levels or are they a workaround that
could relieve the depression symptoms but still leave a mom with
insuffiecient oxytocin, which could in turn inhibit lactation?  my
understanding is that oxytocin cannot be easily measured with a blood draw
because levels fluctuate so much - is this correct?  would a blood draw
*while* baby is at breast indicate an accurate oxytocin reading by which
mom's level could be compared to expected levels?  and if this is a valid
theory, is oxytocin nasal spray one of those meds that is available by
compounding pharmacy in the US, like domperidone.  eveything i read syas it
is no longer available - why? are there risk factors?  thanks for any
info/input.

Lyla Wolfenstein

Lyla Wolfenstein