From:
Amy Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 21:09:48 -0600
I am in priv. prac and many times when a mom calls me for help, she is
convinced that her baby will not latch on and has had help from nurses,
friends, husbands, etc.  Many times she is in tears and ready to give up
and has little self confidence.  If this is the case I ask if she wants me
to try, and she does.  By using hands on to latch the baby on and have the
mom to relax and get comfortable bf. is acomplished and the mother has a
smile and is in disbelief.  While the baby is bf we discuss what has been
going on.  I then have her show me what she was doing and discuss the
problem.  I then have the mom unlatch the baby and try to start the bf
herself.  She usually does well, because she is relaxed and see's that her
baby will and can bf.  and has the selfconfidence she has needed.

I agree with Marie Davis's post on the subject.  Thanks Marie

Warmly
Amy Sanders lvn,ibclc