From:
Anne Merewood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 00:18:00 -0500
Hmmm.. speaking as one who 'failed' in BF her 1st child pretty quickly, I
must admit that I suffered a lot of guilt when I spent happy hours
breastfeeding my 2nd and 3rd children and #1 was begging for my attention.
Yes I know, BF means you can read stories, change diapers, and create clay
dinos with your free hand, but my main thoughts were how I never spent this
kind of time with my eldest who screamed through his feeds.
We had a Mom at a LLL meeting lately with just this "time" problem, and it
turned out she had not BF her first child and was feeling very guilty.
It's not perhaps the TIME so much as the quality of that time, the one-ness
you feel with the infant, that can make moms feel bad about this situation.
After wrestling with it for a while, I ended up telling my older boy that
this is how babies eat and I simply had no choice but to feed the baby.
(Which is probably why he now thinks I save babies' lives by teaching Moms
to BF, as in my recent story!!)
Anne Merewood