From:
Ilene Fabisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2006 23:32:22 -0500
is my new job!
Gratifying...the mom with really big nipples and her baby are doing
great as
far as we can tell.  Since we protected breastfeeding by ONLY
breastfeeding,
no bottles or pacifiers, the only nipple the baby has known are moms
very
large ones and on day 3 was opening up to accommodate them very well.
Mom reported lots of BM's and wet diapers during the day..YAY!

Frustrating...conversation in the SCN...
Me to nurse just introduced to:  Oh your feeding EBM to this little
one. ( I could
tell by the yummy golden color of the colostrum/milk in the bottle)
Nurse: Yes, mom pumped it earlier.  The docs here don't approve of
syringe
feeding, cup feeding or anything.  They like to use the bottle
because they
feel it's easier for the baby, we worry about feeding at the breast
later,
first we have to get the little ones to grow. (yeah right they worry
about it....
poor mom has to go home and deal ....or not deal with it)
Me: Do you mostly use EBM with human fortifier or have you used the
"cream"
layer from expressed milk to increase the calories?
Nurse: Oh no the doctors need to know EXACTLY how many calories the baby
is getting so we use formula mostly.  Breastmilk is 20cal/oz but they
can make
the formula whatever they need it to be.
(I'm totally disgusted now and trying hard to find a redeeming
quality in this SCN)
Me: So do you do lots of S2S/Kangaroo Care?
Nurse: You can see how small this unit is!  We don't usually suggest
it but if they
come back from Boston where they have been doing it we will allow
them to do it
here. (Ah a big favor has been granted apparently!)

I just didn't know WHAT to say that wouldn't get me in trouble, so I
didn't say
anything just turned around to walk away and then said if you need me
for anything
I'll be out on the post partum floor.  I was angry, sad and
frustrated all at the same
time.  What am I to do!!!!  I think I have to choose to do nothing in
an effort to keep
my job BUT I'm not sure I want to be part and parcel to this practice!