From:
Theresa Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2003 08:20:15 -0700
Merilee,

I am sorry I confused you with my description.  I really only "tilt" the mom, so she is not sidelying but the baby is sidelying.  This hold is pretty good for new cesarean section patients and for other moms who need a little rotation of that point of maximum suction!  I guess the best way to describe this is to think of a mom sitting all the way up in a bed.  Now recline that bed down about halfway and bring pillows up high to her side so baby can lay next to her in a modified football hold.  Really the baby is laying on its side facing mom (mom is slightly sitting/kinda reclined) and instead of baby feet and buttocks getting tucked under an elbow in the football hold, this baby is angling off of mom at about 30-45 degrees and essentially nursing laying down because no one holds the entire baby, only the back of the shoulders and neck.  The mom will leave her arm in an open position, instead of tucking baby next to her ribs.  After we get the baby latched, either the mom, dad or I
 will hold the infants neck and shoulders up to feed and do breast compression and massage to get swallows etc.  l usually roll a blanket under the holding persons hand to support them if necessary and sometimes its only a little roll under the baby's shoulder and neck to help support with no hand to hold the baby.  So the baby is sidelying angled about 30-45 degrees out from moms side and up high on pillows so they are level with the breast and the mom is reclined or slightly sitting at about a 45 degree angle.

I find this position allows the baby to nurse without falling into the breast as they sometimes do with a new c/section and the cradle hold or football hold. And its a position that is easy to use if the nurse or LC happen to be the one that has to do all the work because of new post-op patient is under the influence of recovery narcotics or sleep deprivation etc.

It makes the chin at the breast at about the 3 or 4:00 position on the left breast and the 8 or 9:00 position on the right breast.

This is so hard to describe, and I hope this has helped.

Theresa Johnson
Orlando Florida
Bright sunshine and 80 degrees.

Merilee Reeder <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Theresa writes-

> I elevate mom about 30 degrees and tilt her to one side. I help her get
the breast >out and depending on the size of her breasts will try the modified
football hold with >the baby lying on pillows and essentially side lying with
baby feet going the >opposite direction than moms. This seems to work well and
dad's can learn to help >in this position quickly. All the other items
mentioned at the beginning of my post >are then performed now.

Thank you for the great descriptions of side-lying positions, but I can't
seem to see this one in my head. Is the baby nursing on the breast closest to
the mattress or are they lying on pillows to raise them to the "upper breast"?
Where are the baby's feet? Which opposite direction from mom's feet? (I am
seeing the baby's feet in front of the mom's face, but I don't think that is
what you mean!)
TIA for any further clarification on this.
Merilee Reeder
CLE