Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Mar 2011 21:17:48 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
I think the confusion is the term purple.  I use this when teaching my students about the normal newborn.  Purple does not mean the baby cries until they are purple it stands for P - Peak, crying from 2 to 5 months (peak crying months), U - unpredictable - coming and going for no reason (or one not easily found by parents), R - baby Resists soothing (the usual picking up and such doesn't seem to be working), P - baby looks like he's in Pain (drawing the legs up), L - long periods of crying, up to 2 hours (longer is then considered colic), E- evening is the common time for this (used to be called 'witching hour').  This is normal and not colic and typical soothing is 3 steps - contact, carry, walk & talk to baby to avoid shaking.

It is a great way of letting people know that babies cry because they have no other way to communicate and we need to figure out what they need - but if it gets to be too much, leaving the baby in a safe spot until you calm down is good for you both.

Hope that helps clear this up a bit - I like this concept to avoid shaken baby syndrome.

Felicia Henry, BCCE, IBCLC
Oxnard, CA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2