Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2013 11:12:01 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Laura Spitzfaden mentioned getting mothers to lean to the opposite side, if breast anatomy makes a laid back position awkward.  Good idea.
This reminds me - two mothers I've seen very recently (this month) have leant further and further to the side they are feeding on, in both cases the right. They have no kinesthetic perception of doing this and thus it takes an effort to overrule. It will happen even while we are discussing this.  Of course, leaning like this changes the way the nipple points and also brings the nipple/areola complex too low, making it awkward for achieving a comfortable latch. I believe these Mums can benefit from experimenting with laid back positions - if they are willing to try.
Previously I've seen far too many mothers lean forward, also changing the dynamics between the baby's mouth and mother's breast, which are then not well aligned. It's not comfortable for the mother's neck and shoulders, either. I haven't previously seen mothers lean further and further to the side, way off the vertical, or at least I haven't seen it for a long time. Has anyone else seen this lately?
Virginia
in Brisbane

Date:    Thu, 24 Jan 2013 23:42:03 -0500
Subject: Re: Laid back breastfeeding

I find that it really is different for each mom due to her size and shape and in which direction her nipple points.  I try to help mom find a position in which she can cradle baby with the same side arm as the breast from which she is nursing.  Some moms need to lean to the opposite side for this to work, especially if they have large breasts and their arm actually pushes into breast tissue.  Ideally, the nipple points upward a little.  Mom can try different levels of recline and turning to the side to achieve this

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2