From:
vgthorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2013 11:12:01 +1000
Laura Spitzfaden mentioned getting mothers to lean to the opposite side, if breast anatomy makes a laid back position awkward.  Good idea.
This reminds me - two mothers I've seen very recently (this month) have leant further and further to the side they are feeding on, in both cases the right. They have no kinesthetic perception of doing this and thus it takes an effort to overrule. It will happen even while we are discussing this.  Of course, leaning like this changes the way the nipple points and also brings the nipple/areola complex too low, making it awkward for achieving a comfortable latch. I believe these Mums can benefit from experimenting with laid back positions - if they are willing to try.
Previously I've seen far too many mothers lean forward, also changing the dynamics between the baby's mouth and mother's breast, which are then not well aligned. It's not comfortable for the mother's neck and shoulders, either. I haven't previously seen mothers lean further and further to the side, way off the vertical, or at least I haven't seen it for a long time. Has anyone else seen this lately?
Virginia
in Brisbane