From:
Stephen Curless <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 21:00:13 -0500
Regarding the question on sterilizing pump parts, there is an excellent
reference in the Human Milk Bank Storage Guidelines for Hospitals.
Briefly, that cleaning, rinsing, and air drying is all that is needed.
This is what we do along with other area hospitals. This booklet is a
very valuable tool when Joint Commission visits. About a year ago when
they came to our hospital, they wanted to know why our refrigerator used
for storing breastmilk was not labeled biohazard, it really helped to
show this book which explained that breastmilk is not biohazard.. The
person from Joint Commission wanted to know where she could get a copy
of this book for future reference.
Hope this helps. Helen Curless,RN,IBCLC