From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 17:12:52 -0700
The EEOC handles pregnancy discrimination, but not breastfeeding
discrimination.
Judy

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0731/p13s01-lifp.html

The problem of a pregnant pause
Despite family-leave laws, the number of pregnancy discrimination cases is
on the rise in the US.
By Marilyn Gardner | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor
Ten days before Karen Wright was scheduled to return to work after a
six-month maternity leave, she received a shock: Her employer was
transferring her to another position, still to be determined.
"I was stunned, to say the least," says Mrs. Wright, who had spent six years
as a university media relations director. "My reviews had been excellent, so
I had no reason to believe I would lose my job."
Other solutions involve public policy. In California, statewide family leave
pays 55 percent of a worker's salary, up to $840 a week, for six weeks, for
new parents. Operated through the state disability system, it is 100 percent
employee-paid. It does not guarantee time off.

"It just makes an unbelievable difference," says Netsy Firestein, executive
director of the Labor Project for Working Families in Berkeley, Calif. About
85 percent of those who use it are new mothers. Fathers qualify as well.