From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:12:54 +1000
I think that what I originally said has been misinterpreted. When mothers
ask "which formula is the closest to breastmilk" the answer is that none of
them are. If an infant requires an infant formula the general recommendation
(unless there are special circumstances) is to us a cows milk based formula
that meets codex standards (and most countries require codex standards to be
met)- and that there's no difference in outcome for infants based on which
codex-meeting, cows-milk-based formula is used. Of course there are
differences in the ingredients of formulas (and hell you can't get the
ingredients by reading the cans because they list a variety of "potential
ingredients" when it comes to fats for eg)- but that's not what parents are
generally asking about. They want to know how to choose a formula if they
need to buy one. It's simple here in Australia because we have national
recommendations from the government that in essence say "it doesn't matter,
buy the cheapest."
The powdered vs liquid doesn't really even get on the radar here because we
don't really have liquid formula (yes, in hospitals, yes in single serve but
not for general use).
Karleen Gribble
Australia

We SHOULD be on top of these issues so that we don't make the blanket
statements that "it is all the same", when in fact, its not.   Since I
certainly would not say that powdered formula is just the same as liquid
formula to an nongovernmental organization that is assisting in a natural
disaster situation, I wouldn't say it to an individual parent either.

Best, Susan E. Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC

Seen on the New York City's subway Poetry in Motion series:
"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient
solutions;  both dispense with the need for thought."  Henri Poincare
1854-1912.  Science and Hypothesis.

lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet