From:
Judy Knopf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 1995 17:38:02 +0200
Thank you, Patricia, for the interesting suggestion. It made
sense to me that if you increase blood volume with more salt, you
would make milk less cloggable. However, when I bounced this off my
med-tech husband, he told me of research that he was involved in
many years ago in the Arava (desert) area of Israel. The water in
this area tested high in salt and minerals (people living here
had a high incidence of kidney stones), and there was concern
that Arava cows' milk would be altered by the water. They found no change in
cows' milk, only in kidney function. Hating to give up a quick fix, I argue
back that you
cannot extrapolate necessarily between species, that there may be some
other mechanism in humans, but I argue from no strong foundation
(I was a psych major, spare us all!). I would really like to hear
what the experts say on this. Judy Knopf in Beer Sheva, Israel