From:
Joan Edelstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 21:02:41 -0700
Hi all - I'm writing to seek advice for another high school mom (our
daughters are classmates) so this is not someone I've been working with.

Her fifth baby was born 3 weeks ago via elective C-Section for breech
position. Somehow this baby's femur was fractured during delivery
resulting in a lot of swelling and pain and inability to move his leg.
Initially the head of Peds Ortho decided not to splint, cast, etc but
he's now in a brace as repeat x-ray showed more dislocation.

Long and short of it is that this baby has not been able to latch or
nurse effectively. When he is able to latch and suck, he becomes
exhausted. Fortunately, mom successfully breastfeed all previous four
for two years each (with inverted nipples) so has not lost confidence
but is, of course, beside herself. She's worked with several consultants
at this point but still no luck (I'm not sure exactly what advice she
got). She's using a Medela double pump and has an adequate supply, which
she's been feeding by bottle but does want to switch over to breast. On
top of everything else, baby's now congested (sl. URI?) so it's even
more difficult.

My initial suggestion was to finger feed to avoid any further dependence
on the artificial nipple until she's got a plan going with a consultant
who can consistently work with the two of them - LaLeche hasn't yet
returned her call but I'll be able to get in touch with them after
Monday. In the meantime, I'm writing in hopes that there are other
viable suggestions for this baby with a very traumatic birth history.

Thanks!!
Joan Edelstein, DrPH, RN
Professor of Maternity Nursing
San Jose State University &