From:
michelle i scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 19:17:07 -0500
The other problem with goat's milk is that is high in sodium like cow's
milk.  This can cause insensible gastrointestinal bleeding, and result in
anemia and poor growth---and is usually undetected until months later.  If
not breastmilk, then ABM, and if there is a history of allergies, use one
of the hypoallergenic formulas of ABM.   And this recommendation comes from
a formula company rampager!   Michelle Scott, RD,MA,IBCLC in New Hampshire,
USA

>The general rule is that if you have problems with cow's milk, you
will/may
>have problems with goat's milk because goat's milk contains the allergy-
>provoking protein casein and it also contains milk sugar lactose.
>Andrew MD

I agree with the first part of this statement, as it is still 'foreign',
but I wasn't sure about the second bit. My understanding is that it is the
beta-lactoglobulin in cow's milk that is the most likely to cause allergy
problems - there is no equilalent protein in human milk, just alpha
lactoglobulin.

'Milk sugar lactose' is the same in all species - lactose is a relatively
simple (disaccharide) sugar that consists of glucose and galactose units
joined together, biochemically the same everywhere, and human milk has more
of it than any other species.