From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 1996 22:22:04 +0800
We all know that change to the nipple is better obtained in
>the last trimester of pregnancy. But it could be dangerous to use then. As
>for a lactating mother, the manufacturer says it should not be used during
>lactation (you have to buy it and open the package to find this out). If we
>look at how it works, it becomes evident that it should not be used uring
>lactation. It makes a steady suction on the nipple without any possibility
>of an outlet for the milk that will automatically be drawn out.

Re the Niplette,
My understanding is that it is no good in the last trimester and during
lactation because it would simply fall off when colostum or milk fills it
(ie you would lose the suction). I don't think it is actually dangerous. I
believe it is not recommended in the first trimester as many mothers have
sensitive nipples at this stage anyway, and it can aggravate this.
Anyone had experience with actually trying to use it?

Joy Anderson IBCLC, NMAA Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia