From:
Debbie Rabin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 01:35:42 -0500
I work at two different NICUs- in one,  I use the H-------n F----r for babies
who don't have a clue about HOW to suck. In this respect, this nipple/bottle
combination is unique among other artificial feeding methods because it has a
one way valve that prevents the steady drip, drip, drip of milk that is
typical of other artificial nipples and bottles. The baby must learn to suck
to get fluid, and the amount of fluid can be carefully regulated by the
feeder. Feeding is usually a positively reinforcing activity- the baby sucks,
fluid is expressed into the mouth, the baby swallows, feels better, etc.
Baby's who cannot suck/swallow never learn that sucking leads to swallowing-
with some artificial nipples, the baby only has to passively hold his/her
mouth closed enough to keep the fluid in and then passively swallow. A baby
with a severe feeding problem sometimes cannot even do that. I have worked
with some babies who could not eat with any other feeding method. The NICU
nurses almost universally Hate this feeder, and it is VERY expensive, but for
a baby who really needs it, it is better than a G-tube. I ususally tell the
nurses that they should think of it as a transitional method to learn
feeding. Of course, the very best nipple is mom's.  I don't, and would not,
 try this with just run-of-the-mill nipple confusion. That should be avoided
and prevented with early breastfeeding, and I would rather use a nipple
shield ( breifly, and under controlled and well supervised circumstances)
than a bottle and nipple.

Debbie Rabin, OTR, CLC
Los Angeles, CA