From:
Kershaw Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 2009 08:51:04 -0600
Try a special needs feeder.  Look at baby's position when breastfeeding or bottle-feeding - is the chin forward, shoulders rounded, back rounded, hips flexed?  I've noticed a lot of babies who get frenotomies done late instead of right after birth, develop bad (compensatory) "habits" of position which exacerbate "biting".  Prone positioning or kneeling prone position, may help with direct feedings.  A nipple shield (small) might help with keeping the tongue in place and facilitate cupping of the tongue.  Pacifier-pull exercises with baby in sitting position with back flexed, head over the shoulders, chin forward but neck slightly flexed.  Experiment on yourself, feel where your tongue goes in different body positions.  Think about how you use a straw with a nice thick shake or a drink box.  A little logical thinking can help you design good interventions.  I wouldn't use a 24 mm shield as I've found on tongue-tie babies, it tends to encourage more biting as baby's gums touch before the tongue draw and you have the bite reflex being stimulated.  With using the bottle - make sure mom has baby on his side to feed, not reclining as the chin tends to move backward, pulling the tongue back into positions used before frenotomy done.  Also, is mom massaging under the tongue to keep the area released?  This area can re-adhere as it heals unless it's kept released.