From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 1997 13:03:55 +0900
Here's one that has me puzzled. It was from the NMAA counselling helpline,
so I don't have all the history.
6 mo breastfed baby, gone fine with no problems up to a couple of weeks
ago, and had even started sleeping through the night. Then started waking
again about 1.30 am, mum takes her into her own bed to feed. Baby feeds
noisily, with coughing and spluttering (doesn't do this during the day),
then vomits (not during the day either). Baby then wants to feed again,
cycle repeats for several hours. It's driving mum nuts. For the rest of the
24 hours, she's fine.
Doesn't seem to be correlated with when solids were started. Mum thought
baby might be starting to teethe. I wondered whether baby was waking with
discomfort rather than hunger, then having a big feed and overdoing the
sucking (to obtain comfort rather than milk) so she vomits a lot of it
back, then unhappy and uncomfortable, so she feeds again, etc. The coughing
is unlikely to be related to fast let-down at this stage, I thought. All I
could think of was to try sitting up to feed, and to limit baby to one
breast for this middle-of-the-night feed to try to reduce overall volume.
The mum seems to have a tendency to be an oversupplier rather than the
other way, but although she said she gets quite full after several hours, I
don't think she has an actual oversupply at the present.

Any thoughts?

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]