From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Oct 2005 20:58:49 EDT
I was called to see a mom today with pain in her breast.  Her 2 month  old
baby was admitted with a respiratory problem and she was staying with the  baby
to feed him.
Suddenly this morning she developed pain in her left breast.  She is  from
Somalia and does not speak any English.
When I saw her today, her breast are soft but milk production could be
palpated.  There was a soft mass at 11 o'clock about 2 cm from the nipple  on the
left breast.  She states that it was painful especially to the  touch.  The
nipples look fine.  There was no redness or any signs or  symptoms of infection.
She is able to breastfeed on that side by  positioning the baby away from the
lump.
I used an interpreter to speak with the mother.  This has never  happened
before.  She has 5 other children.
I called her OB office and talked to the physician.  They recommended  her to
come into the office on Monday.  I had told her that this lump had  nothing
to do with the breastfeeding and to continue to nurse.  She could  try cold or
warm compresses to the lump for comfort and that if the pain  increased she
needed to call her doctor.
The mass was 3 cm by 1.5 cm in shape.
Does anyone have any idea what this might be?
Thanks,
Ann Perry, RN IBCLC
Boston, MA