From:
Linda Pohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 1996 18:50:01 -0700
Hello to all,

I have a question for all of you more experienced folks.  I am dealing with
a mother who is 10 days away from her due date.  Two days ago she adopted a
three day old little girl.  Mom is very motivated to breastfeed.  The birth
mother fed the baby until the adoptive mother received custody and is
currently pumping milk for the adoptive mother to feed her until the
adoptive mother gives birth and establishes her own supply.  Since the
adoptive mother is past 38 weeks (and we did get permission from the
attending midwife), she is nursing the baby with an SNS.  When I saw her
today, we corrected the position of the SNS tubing and helped with
attachment (baby slurped the nipple).  Once baby was on well nursing was
more comfortable.  She has a scab on the R nipple but still describes
tenderness from "inside" the nipple on both breasts.  I know with tandem
nursing the nipples were often sore at the beginning of the new pregnancy
but, I do not remember feeling sore immediately before delivery.

My question is: with correct attachment and healing the scab can she expect
the nipples to stop hurting?

Linda Pohl, IBCLC
Phoenix, Arizona USA