From:
Monique Schaefers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 19:36:16 -0800
Hello Wise Ones -

I know DepoProvera shots have been discussed before but the archives are
incommunicado tonight.

Second time 19 year old mom. First child BF exclusively for 6 months
when a Ped told her to feed whole cow's milk by bottle.  Second baby
induced 1 1/2 weeks late.  Born Friday at 10 lbs 15 ozs (yup almost 11
pounds).  Pregnancy chats prepped her for rooming in and no bottles in
hospital.  Home last night.  Nursing every 2-3 hours.  Some small pain
during latch - corrected baby's position and latch (sucking in lower
lip).  Mom reports with a big smile that Dr gave her a depo shot just
prior to hospital discharge.  Mom and grandma report NO discussion of
possible side effects wrt BFing.

What do I do!?  We are counting feeds, wets and poopys, days till milk
comes in.  I am fervently hoping this is one of the moms who does not
experience any change in BFing but am not hopeful as BFing wasn't given
a chance to be established.  What can I do to help her out?  All the
usual - frequent BFing, skin to skin, pumping(?), Fenugreek(?).  When do
we start?  Do we try to head this off?  Can we?
--
Monique
Noah Reilly Schaefers  6/18/97