From:
Karen Foard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2013 12:02:07 -0400
My wondering is mixed with all your wise comments, and constructive observations about the (in)validity of the premises of the article (weight loss, multiparty, volumes provided, stomach purity etcetcetc, plus conflict of interest) , combined with Jeanette’s comments about how sometimes it DOES seem helpful for babies to get that little extra.  And then combined with Linda Smith’s famous rule number 1 of feed the baby AND preserve the milk supply:

Asking those wiser than me:  How many drops of colostrum would a mom have to hand express (or pump after delivery squirting water down the flange to harvest those drops) (or in the farfetched world of thinking ahead in the week or so before due date to express out and freeze)  and then diluted with water to the quoted amounts of a teaspoon or two would give the same effect of seemingly helping the baby get a wee bit of volume and lovely nutrients and affects of colostrum AND  help prevent the feelings that moms have that they are not able to provide for their baby?  What if our counter to this widely spread article that IS reaching mainstream public and being viewed as ever so positive could be "well, let’s prepare for that contingency" and teach prenatally over and over again how to hand express, and encourage the moms to be comfortable saying ‘no-- I will get some colostrum out and we could increase its volume a it.”

Yes?

Karen Foard, IBCLC