From:
Judy Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 10:35:06 -0500
<One of our problems in infant feeding is "isolated eating". (Not unlike
isolated sleeping.) Eating is supposed to be a social experience. Companion
means "with bread". We can all picture the baby in a high chair being the
only one eating, often eating something the other family members didn't
touch>

 Thank you Patricia. I love the term "isolated eating". I tell moms the
easiest way to intro solids is to let baby sit at table with a plate. At each
dinner , think ahead and incorporate ONE food that everyone including the
baby can eat. Example, having oven-baked french fries, peel a few, keep them
separate, and steam them for the babe. They go on the plate, if they get
eaten fine, if they don't no big deal, someone else might eat them anyway.
This can work with almost any veggie. We had  a BABY TENDER, which turned the
seat so that baby could sit right at the table with us. They loved it. I
don't think they make these any more, but there must be something to
un-isolate our little eaters. A baby who cannot sit up well when supported in
a high chair, with the tray off, and at the table, is probably not
developmentally ready for solids anyway. (Forget what mom said about how you
ate sour cream at three weeks of age.) Baby slings unwound can be great to
secure a new eater in a chair, especially in restaurants with no good seating
options.
 Kathy D. thank your for the tip on genetically-engineered algae, I will
remember that, and I think the term Acquired Immune Deficiency does go with
exclusively formula fed children. How can it not - we know that all the
immune transfer through BF, both passive and active, CANNOT take place in the
absence of nursing, so of course they are immune deficient from birth through
the rest of their lives. The immune system will develope some, but not to the
anticipated extent, without the expected facilitation from human milk.. This
sounds very logical  to me, but then I am not afraid of soapboxes, as my
husband knows all too well. luckily he is like-minded. A CCE freind of mine
says she tell her classes there are 60 components in "formula"- ooh and ah
for how technically complicated it is. Then she says there are over 300 KNOWN
components in Human Milk. Food for thought...   Judy, Brooklyn, NY