From:
jhroibal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 22:52:42 -0700
Some toddler want to nurse more often while a mother is ovulating.
Personally, I've seen lots of toddlers who nurse *less* while mother is
ovulating, but the sore nipples could be due to a variety of reasons.

Perhaps the toddler is performing "nursing gymnastics" and unusual
positioning and/or prolonged poor positioning could be the cause.  I
know when my 2.5 year old crawls under the computer desk to nurse, he is
usually standing, but sometimes, he is very wiggly and I have to
re-position him. (i.e. get off the computer!)

Another reason may be, that for some mothers, their milk supply is lower
than usual during ovulation and fussy toddlers can tell the difference
and protest by vigorously nursing to the point of causing tender
nipples.

Some mothers' breasts are also particularly sensitive during ovulation
and this may also be a contributing factor.

I can usually tell when I'm going to ovulate, because my toddler will
nurse more often, for longer amounts of time, and he occasionally
becomes frustrated.

Hope this helps!

Heidi S. Roibal in NM where the "nice" weather is breaking records and
our skis go unused yet again