From:
lisa mooney RN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 21:09:02 EDT
Dear Lactnetters, I agree with Nancy regarding the need for infants to be NPO
for at least 30-45 minutes before a circumcision. This comes from a NICU and
low risk nursery nurse who has witnessed and assisted ( unfortunately) over
400-500 circumcisions . Many babes do vomit from the horrible shock and pain
of the procedure . Although breastmilk is a physiological fluid , it is still
foreign to the tracheobronchial tree and could cause discomfort for the baby
and possible comps. If it is done correctly the babe does not need to miss a
feeding as most experienced docs can do a circ in approx 30-35 minutes  or
less and then I encourage moms to feed right away.I would try to schedule
with the moms which babes should have the procedure done first based on
feeding times and infant hunger cues.... wouldn't it be great if we realized
that the foreskin has three times the nerve endings the penis does and maybe
has a purpose. If cleaned properly boys do not have an increased risk of
UTI's as far as I know the AAP does not support that Circumcision should be
done for medical reasons , rather for cosmetic reasons (How sad...)Jennifer,
Program, I am a RN and just finished four years there as Active Duty
Military. I am now a civilian/reservist (Yippee :>) and the Breastfeeding
Friendly Committee at the hospital has just proposed four contract positions
for LC's . The ESC ( Execeutive Steering Comm.) is currently reviewing this
proposal. The Lactation Program is currently run by people like myself who
volunteer and have this task as their collateral duty, in addition to full
time employment. Our improvements are slow , but by and large the system is
decent. You can email me at [log in to unmask] for further info or questions,
congrats and yes the population we serve at Balboa is HUGE.......V/R Lisa M
Mooney Rn, BSN, CLE (taking the CLC exam in July)