From:
Roni Chastain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 20:28:06 EST
Greetings Everyone,
As I was having my morning coffee and reading the newspaper I was very
disturbed to see an article on *The joy of Soy: Baby's Edition*. It goes on to
say:

        "A high-protein soybean bred for animal feed may make infant formula made of
soy more like mother's milk, government researchers say.
        The soybean, called Prolina, "turns out to have potential for improving soy
infant formulas," Floyd P. Horn, administrator of the Agriculture Department's
research service, said last week.
        Prolina has a high concentration of the amino acid cystine, a key part of
human breast milk.
        "Many formula manufacturers have been looking for a way to more closely match
mother's milk with a vegetable-based formula," said Prachaud Kwanyuen, a
chemist with the research service. "Prolina may just be the formula for
success."
        Prolina soybeans are also high in a special class of proteins that make it
easier to process the beans into a gel form for a fat-free whipped cream made
of soy or to blend them into a liquid emulsion like infant formula."

Needless to say, it did not help start my day off to a good start. Is it me or
does a soybean bred for animal feed converted into infant formula sound
discusting?

Roni M. Chastain, RN, LCCE, FACCE
Long Island, New York