From:
PrMechell Roberts Turner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 23:38:57 -0400
WEll the docs at JAMA- I believe thats who the news said , published a study
about walking during labor, saying tht it made no difference in the labor
outcome tht the baby was coming out whether the mom was lying down or
standing.  They concluded that walking didn't help or hurt .  Well after
having 4
children, upright and walking just plain helps get things going again. I
birthed two on my back - not my choice -and two after walking and upright,
well a balance of walking and resting is great. Bet the study by those men-
apologies to our men here who are well versed and knowlegeable already-
have never had  to give birth. And gravity does help; lying down though they
have gadgets and gizmos to help them get the baby out.
My problem here is getting the women to sit long enough to breastfeed. They
want to breastfeed, but their bottoms hurt too much from all those gadgets
to get babies out. ( Yes, I do realize that these are sometimes necessary.)
But my ladies who have walked some during labor seem to be able to sit a
little better to nurse just after birth.  But I found a small gadget of my
own that is available at  th dollar store to help these womens bums get
comfotable to sit with, a childs' inflatable swim ring. It help the pressure
get off the preineum and helps mom focus on nursing.  They can be chilled in
the fridge, plain or put in warm water to heat to the moms comfort. Since i
am working now as a doula first and IBCLC second , i've learned to keep them
in both my BF bag and my birth bag. Has any one tried this as well?

Sorry for the rant about birth , but If a woman has a good birth seems her
outlook is a little brighter even in difficult BF situations.