From:
Anne Clements <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:44:23 +1000
I remember taking home my first child  ,he had loss 10% of his birth
weight.It was suggested that I feed him 3rd hrly and bring him back in a
couple of days for a review of his weight.
He was IUGR and moderately jaundice,once home he started to put on weight
consistently.Although Child Health kept trying to tell me I should be making
him drink more.They didn't look at overall gain but just the gain/loss from
last weight.Ignored them and kept doing what I was as he had gained his
birth weight back and doubled it at the time.

I work in an NICU and we done weigh some of our babies for days.many of the
babies initial weight is just excess fluid anyway and once that disappears
you usually get an accurate weight.

Some of our babies gain large amounts of weight but this is often due to
excessive fluid related to albumen levels.
We normally weigh our babies 2nd daily if they are stable.We expect some
weigh loss initially anyway as most babies can lose up to 10% of their birth
weight ,usually gaining it back by day 7-10.
The only ones who don't are the premmies as it takes them longer to put
weight back on.

Anne Clements RN RM BNS
Brisbane QLD
Australia