From:
Pamela Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2012 10:45:21 +0100
Hi Jan
I see the reason for your concern about possible
over-supplementation.  However, this protocol would be used for
sick/prem/compromised babies in the NICU who are not breastfeeding at
all, and whose metabolic requirements would be high.  Thus a healthy,
full-term baby of 3.5kg baby would normally be breastfeeding, and we
wouldn't know how much he was taking.  But if he was assessed as
sick/compromised at birth, the mother would need to be expressing all
she could on Day 1, and he would be topped up with formula to the
total quantity of about 25ml every 3 hours on Day 1, rising to 40ml
every 3 hours on Day 3, which sounds rather a lot, but nevertheless
he would need it. However by the same token, a 950g baby in the
neonatal unit would only need 85ml/day that the paediatrician would
be calling for on Day 3, and his mother would easily be able to
express about 10ml for him every 2 hours, right?

Challenged babies have different requirements from those of healthy
babies - it's all relative.   No-one got excited by the normal-weight
babies who took a little longer than usual to establish
breastfeeding.  The mother would be advised to start hand-expressing
frequently what she could from about the second day, and
spoon-feeding it to the baby until they got things together.

Pamela