From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2006 11:25:15 -0700
Janice writes:
<< If the campaign had targeted the message instead at
the bystanders (ie the mom's friends and family, her
employers, society in general) - that *they* must
support the mom to breastfeed, that *they* wouldn't
encourage her to take risks before pregnancy, why
would they do it afterward, etc, ) Then I would have
been 100% happy with the campaign.>>

I agree with targeting "bystanders" -- and as Nina
points out, we aren't the first to notice their
effect.

This August the Utah Breastfeeding Coaliton is hosting
a monthlong interactive community event, a
Breastfeeding Cafe, in the heart of Salt Lake City.
We're re-interpreting our slogan "Breastfeeding
touches us all" for this event to "Breastfeeding
involves us all."  The idea is to turn the spotlight
on employers, neighbors, passersby.

Whether speaking to moms, community groups, or various
folks about town I try to work in the idea that women
don't fail to breastfeed -- communities fail to
support breastfeeding.

Marketing works its best magic on "bystanders" -- the
ones who saw all those adds, all those props in
movies, and know just what to do when mom struggles
postpartum.

After all babies are born knowing what to do, and most
moms have a pretty good idea in spite of a lifetime of
marketing/modeling to the contrary.

I'd love to see a current bf marketing campaign aimed
at communities.  Can anyone point me to one?
Anywhere?

And if any Lactnetters are in the Salt Lake area and
would like to join a fun group of bf advocates
marketing to bystanders, please do!  Feel free to
email me off-list.

Susan Johnson MFA, IBCLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA