From:
Susan Horein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 14:26:41 -0600
I think there was a discussion about this earlier that might be found in
the archives, but to add to what's there:

A personal anecdote related to your inquiry:  I had a significant cystocele
and rectocele after the birth of my second child (a 10lb 4oz baby).  My FP
referred me to a PT here who specializes in this sort of thing.  The
physical therapist, said that it would probably get better after I weaned
(but she said it like "be patient" rather than "you should wean").  Indeed,
as my son gradually weaned at around 2.5 yrs, it got gradually better (i.e.
not as severe).

There are other factors involved, though.  The PT had prescribed a
kegel-type exercise plan for me which I did with some regularity at first
and they helped somewhat, but eventually other things took priority.  I
also was treated (for another problem) by a kinesiologist/chiropractor
which likely influenced my recovery (a "whole body" sort of approach).  Or
it might have been time allowing my body to heal.  But I have a hunch the
weaning did indeed have something to do with it.

The PT said she sometimes prescribes a device (I think it's called a
"pessary" perhaps?) that can be inserted in the vagina to "hold up" the
bladder or uterus when doing things which cause it to droop -- e.g.
physical exercise, lots of time in a vertical position...  Perhaps your
client could ask about using one of those along with appropriate exercises
until she chooses to wean at a later time?  Just a thought...

For what it's worth,

Susan Horein, LLLL

Susan Horein
Wisconsin, USA