From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 00:54:58 -0500
Karen
I feel so badly for this poor mom who wants to bf so much and has done so
thru so much pain and trauma. This kind of injury can only lead to more
damage I would think until it is allowed to heal. I understand her concerns
about supply but surely a case of mastitis won't help either and can reduce
supply. I would definitley suggest to stop nursing temporarily on that side
til it heals. She should rent a super high quality pump which I think the
Medela Classic or comparable Ameda one would be the best. She could hand
express if that is too painful. She should probably be taking antibiotics to
heal it, topical and maybe even systemic. She could take extra vit C and be
sure to eat very very nutritiously to help heal too. Maybe take herbs and
prescription galactagogues if needed for supply when this resolves. Is the
baby gaining "well" or is the sucking w/o good flow causing damage? Or could
the baby has some suck dysfunction that could be addressed while mom heals.?
Very difficult situation here, hope Barbara Wilson-Clay will respond.
Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA