From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 11:58:25 -1000
Hi all. A colleague has the following question which I was unable to help
her with. She has given me permission to ask Lactnet. TIA to those who can
help.

Has anyone ever heard of women having problems with rapid and unrelenting
breast growth during pregnancy and lactation? I am presently seeing a woman
with her seven day old first baby who says she is now wearing a sizeH cup
bra. She was a 14D cup before she became pregnant and says that each month
during her pregnancy she had to buy a new bra with a bigger cup size. She
now is having problems with pain in her back and neck, as well as redness
on the lateral aspect of her breasts where her arm rubs against her breast.
Not to mention the incredible expense of having to buy expensive bras and
then have them altered to fit her average body size. Now on day 7, she has
plenty of milk and her baby is feeding well (I'm sure he thinks he is in
paradise at feed time). Her breasts are not engorged, just very large and
growing by the day. I dont think it is specifically related to her
lactation as the problem began very early in the pregnancy. I sort of
remember reading in a lactation text book about a rare disorder where
women's breast tissue is over sensitive to hormones and this sets off an
incredible growth surge. Maybe I dreamt this as it is a very vague thought
in my mind at present. Has anyone else heard of this happening, is there
anything she can do to slow or stop her breasts growing (other than
weaning). I think I may have read about it in Lawrence or maybe in
Auerbach, but I dont own these books, just borrow from time to time. Any
help would be appreciated. Love Melissa

thanks
Denise