From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2006 07:55:26 -0700
Fabulous response, Nina.  As rapidly as lactation
research and understanding changes, it makes more
sense to think like a leader, and act.  We're forever
making quick leaps to "catch up" and it looks like
"leading" when we do.

Over the years I've met some amazing La Leche League
"Leaders" who think and act lightyears ahead of the
research.  One said to me once "if you want me to
follow, don't call me a "Leader."  Clearly La Leche
League blazed a path in many ways jumping ahead of
research, often to a place re-discovered as lactation
became science.

Now there are many arms to the work and understanding
of breastfeeding.  As we continue to learn from each
other it is important for each of us to take those
first steps forward in our practice, and in our
community.  If we don't change our practice in
response to new understandings, we're not truly
advocating for breastfeeding.  And if we're not
breastfeeding advocates in our practice, not leaders,
we're choosing to keep the status quo.  For most of
us, the status quo is not a breastfeeding culture.

Thanks, Nina, for reminding us of what it looks like
to lead.

Susan Johnson MFA, IBCLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

<<The American Academy of Pediatrics' revised policy
statement on Breastfeeding and the use of human milk
(2005, p496) states: "Exclusive breastfeeding is the
reference or normative model against which all
alternative feeding methods must be measured with
regard to growth, health, development, and all other
short- and long-term outcomes."

So I am thinking that you might suggest that the new
charts are in line with AAP policy and that it is only
a matter of time before the AAP endorse the new
charts.  Appeal to her independent professional
juudgement.  Ask if she wants to lead or to follow.

Nina Berry BA/Bed(Hons) Dip Arts(Phil)
Breastfeeding Counsellor
PhD Candidate - "Ethical Issues in the marketing of
'Toddler Milks'">>