From:
Magda Sachs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 08:59:47 +0000
"A baby demanding to eat at 4 months....I would trust that completely."

A baby of four months sees its mother stick something in her mouth, she is
relaxed and enjoys it.  Wow, lookslike fun, no iea what it is, must try!!!

Why would a baby who is interested in this connect this in his head with
suckling at the breast and receiving nourishment?  The baby thinks it looks
interesting, significant others are doing it...surely we dont' think babies
are programmed to think 'they are all enjoying chips and mushy peas, when
can I get some?'

Trusting to curiousity: the baby has no idea is connected to food going into
his GI tract, but *we do* -- !!!???  We know that it takes about 6 months of
extra-gestate life for the gut, the immune system etc to mature and for the
baby to be protected enough for food.

This discussion is interesting.  I think that in the UK we have moved away
from the kind of responses I have been seeing on this list -- and why?
Because it is now five years that 6 months before offering complementary
solids has been our government policy.  We have got used to the idea -- and
got over the fact that we all gave our babies stuff earlier (remember - some
of us gave our babies formula -- does that mean we defend that?) and *seen*
how it works for babies and women.

Its global policy, based on research!

Magda Sachs, PhD
Breastfeeding Supporter, The Breastfeeding Network, BfN