Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:36:32 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Hello!
My name is Rebecca Howard, I'm a junior nursing student at the University of North Dakota. I have a friend who recently found out that she is pregnant, and is wondering about her ability to breastfeed due to breast augmentation surgery that she had performed about 8 months ago.She didn't tell me specifically what type of procedure was performed for her implant placement. She is really hooping to be able to breastfeed, but has heard that it may be more challenging. I have researched this topic, and realize that this topic has been covered previously on Lactnet. I have reviewed the archives, and hope that some of you may be able to provide some more information on this topic for me.
Hurst (1996) found that there is significantly higher risk of insufficient milk production in mothers with breast augmentation, but that type and procedure utilized for augmentation affect the outcomes for breastfeeding success. But, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in their HHS Blueprint for Action on Breastfeeding (2000), states that it is unknown whether breastfeeding is affected by augmentation, but that many woman have been successful at breastfeeding with implants (p.12). Furthermore, Nommsen-Rivers (2003), found that the medical literature indicates that breast surgery does increase the risk for a woman to have insufficient milk supply for breastfeeding.
Now that I have this information, I would appreciate any new information that any of you may be able to provide based on what you've encountered and seen in your practice related to breast augmentation and breastfeeding. I'm curious about specific tips or suggestions that you may have in regards to this topic.
Thank you, Rebecca Howard, College of Nursing Student, University of North Dakota.
Hurst, N.M. (1996), Lactation After Mammoplasty., Obstetrics & Gynecology, 87:30-34.
Nommsen-Rivers, L. (2003), Cosmetic Breast Surgery- Is Breastfeeding at Risk?, Journal of Human Lactation, 19(1):7-8.
United States Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Woman's Health. (2000). HHS Blueprint for Action on Breastfeeding. Retrieved November 9, 2003, from http://www.4woman.gov/Breastfeeding/bf.cfm?page=223.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2