From:
Karyn-grace Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2006 20:16:14 -0800
Like most of us here, I have decided to simply "keep on keeping on" by just
doing what I've always done as a LLLL in the hopes that the S of P will soon
be revised...

So then.  I have some questions about how to practice and how much to
charge.  I'm sorry for taking up precious Lactnet space with such basic
info, but you guys are the experts and experienced in all manner of being an
LC, so who else could I ask?

Here's what I want to know, especially from IBCLC's in Canada:

1.)   What is the "private practice" going rate for consults in person,
phone, and by email?

2.)  Do Canadian insurance companies reimburse their clientele for LC visits
and consults?  If yes, do LC's deal directly with insurance co's or do we
bill the client and have them get the reimbursement themselves.

3.)  How am I insured as an LC?  I know I am insured by LLLL through my
Leader dues, but I have no idea who or what 'covers' me as an LC.

4.)  Are there any LC's out there who bill other parties for their work with
mothers.  Such as being "on staff" at a medical practice, but working from
home and doing home visits?  What if local docs or nurses refer to you...do
you or can you bill the hospital/clinic/practice?

5.)  Last question:  Here is my personal situation - I have been working
with a local community outreach centre for the past three years as a
volunteer in breastfeeding counselling, parenting courses, mom & tot groups
and stuff like that.  They are now offering me a paid position (part time)
and are offering me 10 hours per week at $15.00 per hour.  It *may* be up to
me how I use those hours, and they are willing to pay me for up to five
hours per week for breastfeeding counselling (on or off site, face to face
or phone, etc. - it's a small community, so 5 hours per week covers it no
problem)  I *know* that LC's in private practice receive (and deserve!) far
more than $15 per hour, but I would rather take the $15 from the Centre than
take $50 from a mother.  It's the principle of the matter - I want to be
able to go to my local health authority after a year and say:  I've worked
this many hours in breastfeeding counselling for 1/3 of what is the going
rate....blah, blah, blah...I have proven my worth as a vital part of the
health care team in this community...blah, blah, blah...I deserve more
money...blah, blah, blah...

Is this a stupid idea?  Would I be kicking myself in the foot and then never
be able to recieve more than $15 per hour?  Gee...I know I can't even get
someone to come and clean my house for $15!  They charge $17 per hour around
here!!!  It's just that I personally believe that LC's are a VITAL part of
the health care team, and if basic and necessary health care is paid for
here in Canada, how can we ask mothers to pay extra for what they are
entitled to?!?

Thank you so much to everyone who has read this whole thing.

Blessings!

Karyn-grace Clarke, IBCLC, LLLL
Gabriola Island, BC