From:
Leslie Mahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 2006 11:22:27 -0500
Greetings!
This is my 1st post to LactNet, but I have not missed a day browsing since
I joined.
 My 21 yo daugher was dx with shingles of the hand. It is important to not
that the rash follows the nerve path is only on one side of the body. A
rash on both hands would not be shingles. Shingles are very painful. The
rash presents as a cluster of clear vesicles surrounded by a red base that
travels upwards. The rash will last two weeks,  eventually crusting and
resolving during that time. Valtrex should be started within 48 hr of
beginning of symptoms.
It is also important to note that the husband of the lady with questioned
shingles had a rash on BOTH thighs, not just one side,which would not be
indictative of shingles.
Hope this helps
Sincerely,
Leslie Mahan, RN CLC