From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:13:29 -0700
On 11/27/04 1:30 PM, "Kathy Eng" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Jodine writes "By all means, take efforts to get the best pump solution in
> the hands of the
> women who need it, but if there is no alternative to a used pump, please
> make sure these women understand the relative risks of not breastfeeding vs
> the hypothetical risks of contamination."
>
> I have several pump dealer friends that have opened up the diaphrams on used
> Pump In Styles and found mold and bacteria growing. This would not be a
> hypothetical risk of contamination. I have heard of people finding milk in
> the motors of cheap brands of small electrical pumps also.

I find this alarming and it seems to be a good reason for LCs to caution
against these particular pumps for any user - what's to keep my pump from
contaminating my baby's milk with mold and bacteria? Consumers should be
clamouring for these pumps to improved or taken off the market!

The latest information from Medela on why personal use pumps should not be
shared backs away from previous assertions on specific diseases that can be
transmitted via human milk. (TS-Pump Reuse_1547482B.pdf from their web site)
They only make a general reference to evidence that bacteria and certain
viruses may be transmittable in breast milk. I believe Medela cites the same
citations that were referenced earlier warnings, and my concern with them
then was that the research refers to fresh milk cross-contamination and also
pumps in use in a hospital/NICU setting. At any rate, the current handout
doesn't address this mold or general household bacteria issue - it speaks
only of cross-contamination.

> The other problem with used pumps is sometimes they are worn out. Mom needs
> to have it checked with a vacuum gauge and make sure it is working well. I
> have personally had several moms with milk supply issues who were using used
> pumps. These moms blamed themselves for not having a good supply, not ever
> dreaming that their used pump was not working right.
>
> Also, IBCLCs have an ethical obligation to follow the manufacturer's
> recommendations on use of their product.

Could we compare this to a pharmaceutical manufacturer's warnings against
the use of their drugs by lactating women? Do IBCLCs really have a ethical
obligation to follow a manufacturer's recommendations if they aren't
convinced the recommendations are in the best interests of the consumer?

I want to make it clear that I understand that the woman in question
shouldn't be using this particular pump as it likely won't help her maintain
a supply. It really doesn't matter if it's used or brand new...

If it's a question of this pump or no pump, well, she would have to make a
decision. And it's at that point that I would hope we'd help her make her
decision with the best possible information at hand.

You who are public health professionals - who work in positions of trust
with the public - it's so important to make sure your advice and counsel is
based on sound science. Please consider discussing relative risk with
clients/patients. The public really needs you to be thought of as
trustworthy, knowledgeable and unbiased sources of information.

Finally, I am always worried when we communicate concerns about human milk
that have the potential to diminish its benefits in the eyes of the public.
I think that in the past, some warnings about sharing pumps crossed the line
and caused unnecessary concern and fear about the safety of human milk.

I hope I haven't ruffled to many feathers tonight.

- Jodine
Who is in the middle of an election campaign and working ridiculous hours,
and who shouldn't really be reading Lactnet at all!!!