From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 22:32:05 +0200
Marian Rigney wrote
"I don't blithely accept slick sales pitch but want to know the nitty gritty
and often ask detailed and probing questions and want to know what research
backs up their claims (then compare it to what I have read)."

I'm sure you share my frustration, then, Marian, when your detailed and
probing questions are met with 'Gee, we could use you in our company.  Could
you maybe (in a spare moment or two) write a set of instructions for us on
proper use of a doodad thingamajig and send them to us?'  I find this most
galling when the doodad in question is the flagship of the company line of
products.  The guy who for a while was running the largest pump rental
station in my county (a business selling all kinds of health care products,
orthopedic shoes, ostomy supplies, etc.) and constantly trying to get me to
give him a no-effort education in how to use the d*** things, is now selling
something else.  He had one loyalty: to increase revenues for the business
as quickly as possible.  His commitment to breastfeeding was nonexistent, as
was his knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of lactation.  I have never
detected any attempts on the part of any pump manufacturers to insure that
pumps be sold responsibly by knowledgeable people who care about mothers and
babies, at least not in this country.

This Lactnet discussion is interesting, but it seems to be heating up, too.
I haven't perceived the kind of sarcasm Barbara Wilson-Clay refers to, and
am sorry if anyone at all has been hurt by anything I have written.
Personally I hope we can keep things at their current balance between
passion and clear prose, it is stretching my mind.

thanks, too, for the reports about the conference itself, even if they are
turning some of us green with envy.

sincerely
Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway