From:
vgthorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2014 19:00:52 +1000
Yes, Nina, this doesn't surprise me at all. "Without drugs" also, of course,
means without herbal ones, and I think this is what you mean. You have made
important points.  Additional factors are:  being in a
breastfeeding-friendly environment (family, mother group, culture) amd high
breastfeeding self-efficacy. These two factors are interrelated.
In cases of persistent children who remember what to do, it doesn't even
need the mother to be motivated.  I have several cases were the mothers were
trying to discourage the weaned child from returning to the breast after a
period of time, and the persistent child brought in milk.(1,2)  (Phillips
was my surname at the time.)
1) Phillips V. Relactation in mothers of children over 12 months. J Trop
Pediatr Envir Child Health,1993; 39: 45-48.)1993
2) Phillips V. Relactation: what the exceptions can tell us. Birth Issues
1997; 6 (1): 24-29.

There are other case series and case reports by others in the literature,
too.

If the situation is inducing lactation, rather than relactation after
earlier weaning, it can be very helpful if the adopting mother is able to
have the baby skin-to-skin and at breast constantly from birth, if the baby
is a newborn. Using bottles as the means of supplementing would be at the
very bottom of my list, as at-breast supplementation is desirable.

Dr Virginia Thorley, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia