Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 23:38:52 EDT
Theoretically "secondary lactose intolerance" should be a big problem with
breastfeeding, but I would say that it is not. Several articles have been
written on the protective aspects of breastmilk in the infant with rotovirus
specifically. Also the osmotic load and electrolyte balance in breast milk is
well suited for diarrhea. I beleive that "secondary lactose intolerance" is
highly over diagnosed, I've stopped using lactofree/soy formulas in my
formula fed infants with diarrhea, and I've never recommnded diluting
formula. I don't see it as a common problem with most cases of diarrhea.

Mary Murphy MD