Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2013 18:36:45 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Hi Louanne, 

I truly feel for that mother right now. Our son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at 1 year of age. He was still nursing and was actually doing more of it than eating solids (probably because he was nauseated from the ketones) The endos that we had really didn't have much to say about the breastfeeding. They never recommended that I wean. We discussed how we would just have to see if his blood sugar was affected and if he would need insulin. He was started on Lantus and diluted Humalog for carb coverage. It seemed as though my supply was dwindling a little anyway ( I had also found out that I was pregnant again around the same time) I tried pumping at different times of day to estimate how much he might actually be getting. The carb amount is actually pretty low and it was determined I really didn't need to cover with insulin when he would nurse. We only lasted 1 month beyond that. However I found the breastfeeding was still a source of comfort for him through a difficult time and sometimes would be the only thing he would do if he was low and needed to eat. And it would help bring up a low blood sugar quickly without making him go too far in the other direction. I wish I would have continued nursing him for longer. I think the immune protection from breastfeeding would have greatly benefitted him since illnesses can be much more challenging with diabetes. I hope things work out well. I know how challenging this can all be plus they have the seizure issue too. 

Natalie McCullen RN, IBCLC 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2