From:
Lisa Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Nov 1996 17:08:41 -0500
Amy Cains asked about sleepy babies and reasons for waking:
  I had one of those sleepy babies, born 35 wk gestation, but very healthy
with no special care needed in hospital.  Preterm babies seem to be
especially good at shutting themselves down and tuning out external stimuli.
 Mine slept thru everything - changes of diaper, heel sticks, clothing
changes - in the first weeks of her life.  She had to be woken up to feed.  I
spent half of my day getting her awake, and the other half getting her to
sleep.  Very exhausting.  The other exhausting thing was *knowing* that if
her ped. didn't see better weight gain, he would continue to advise formula
as a follow up to breastfeeding sessions.
  Carla (from close to Washington, DC) had an excellent post yesterday about
waking the sleepy baby in gentle ways.
  Best of luck,       Lisa