From:
Dressler-DeMarco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 21:02:12 -0500
Kim,
Wow, best of luck to you and to this mom.  The BAB has several real good
sections that can be of help in relactation and going back to the
breast.  Check out especially the section on page 102--the stages of
observed behavior in a baby who aggressively refuses to breastfeed. It
can be encouraging for a mom to see that her baby's changing behavior
can be tracked on a continuum of progress toward breastfeeding.
I would also suggest this mom consider double pumping with a rental
pump.  I would be surprised if the pump you mention is up to the job of
restimulating a milk supply.
Other good suggestions are to bathe with her baby and keep the baby
close to her in a sling during the day, and to offer her breast A LOT
(giving baby lots of chances to breastfeed), and especially for comfort.
She might want to consider another means of feeding her baby while she
is going back to breast, say a cup or even an SNS.

Diane, LLLL from VT