From:
Virginia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:07:33 +1000
~~~~~~~~~
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 Harvey Karp and Nina Montee wrote:
.... PPD is complex and certainly is in large part hormonally based, but I
have had a few moms whose severe depressions were exacerbated by their
feeling exhausted and demoralized because of their babies' poor sleep
routine and prolonged crying.  Just helping their babies sleep an extra
1-2 hours /night and helping them feel skilled at calming their crying
pulled them from deep depression back into balance...in a matter of 2-3
days.

Harvey Karp
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To add to what Harvey Karp wrote:
I see Mums' situations turned round by breaking the sleep
deprivation/overwhelming fatigue cycle often enough to value what I learnt
many years ago from La Leche League, as a very young mother with my first
baby - the "holiday in bed with the baby".  Examples go way beyond the one
cited, of PND, and include mastitis, latch problems (new mother so tired
that she and the baby are frustrated), and more. I really love it for
mastitis. Mothers start out doubtful that something so basic can help, but
after they've had that first nap (even if it is at 9 o'clock in the
morning!) they and their partners can already see the difference.  We work
together to find ways the one/two-day "holiday in bed with (the) baby" will
best work for them.  Even though I know it is a good clinical judgment, it
still amazes me how it can help.

Virginia, in Brisbane

Virginia Thorley, OAM,ThA, BA, DipEd, GC TESOL, MA, IBCLC
Lactation consultant (private practice)
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Tel .+67 (07) 3399 7616
Mobile: 0409 876 848