From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 23:39:56 -0500
This subject was just broached with me by a Public Health Nurse I have been
training about breastfeeding.  She has become a wonderful breastfeeding
advocate - not only for her clients, but also with her (currently
breastfeeding) daughters.

However, she brought up a point that I have been thinking about...she
asked: If we say that baby's needs for breastfeeding do not end at a
particular age (i.e. 12 months) or for a particular length of time (i.e.
feed only for 10 minutes per side, etc.) then, are we not giving incorrect
information to bottle feeding mothers also?  Why should pacifiers be
removed from baby's mouth at 12 months - or even 2 or 3 years?  Don't
bottle-feeding children have sucking needs also that cannot be met on an
empty bottle?  Don't babies need to suck - whether at breast or bottle?

Actually, my answer was pretty lame...we don't want babies attached to
"things" but to people...and bottle nipples and pacifiers cause dental
problems, not only of caries but in incorrect tongue movements that deform
the dentition.  But the reality is infants and young children DO have a
need to suck - and when this is not met at the breast - for whatever reason
- should they not be given appropriate ways of meeting these needs?

I realize that we are a lactation discussion group, and this is not the
forum for extensive discussions on this subject.  However, in dealing with
infants and children who are not breastfed but perhaps breast milk fed
(NICU babies, babies with oral abnormalities, babies who refuse to go to
the breast or babies who cannot breastfeed like the ones whose moms are
very ill with AIDS and may be getting donated milk) should there not be a
way to help them to develop optimally - including offering them the
opportunity to suck until they outgrow the need?

Just some random thoughts triggered by Pam's message.

Jeanette Panchula, BSW, RN, PHN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA