From:
Ruth Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2016 17:40:36 +1000
Hi Pat and all,

I have a paper (which I'll forward the information to you Pat, when I
locate it), that describes the midwives keeping one fingernail long
and pointed in order to help swipe under the tongue to ensure the
tongue is free to move.  It was written in the 1700's and was by a
midwife about her experiences.  It almost appeared to be a diary or
directions for the women she trained as midwives.  No silver coins
for these women.

Kind regards,
Ruth Berkowitz, IBCLC; BFHI Assessor & Educator; Grad. Dip
Counselling; ABA breastfeeding counsellor & trainer
Melbourne Australia